Help getting started.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been tasked to find out how to interact a Kinect with Windows 8.

I have a few questions about it and would like someone to point in the right direction.

Is taking control of the mouse the same for windows 7 as it is with windows 8? (as i don't have W8 i am hoping to just work through W7)

This is how i imagine it...You take control of the mouse with your hand and have a clicking gesture. When the clicking gesture is performed the program will take the mouse position and run the onmouseclick event like normal. right? I'm pretty new to this but keen to have a decent go.

I've been told to look into signal events and touchscreen APIs but haven't really found much in terms of what i need.

Maybe some links that i can read to help me out would be great but as far as i'm concerned at this stage that's how i think it can be done.

Sorry if i'm a noob :D

Thanks

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Kinect does not control the mouse (or anything else) when plugged into Windows 7 or 8.  There is an SDK available at www.kinectforwindows.com for developers to build their own applications, but there is no built-in support in the OS for anything related to Kinect.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I'm not sure if this helps anymore, but here's a similar project if you're still looking

http://code.google.com/p/kinectwinlib/